Intro to Politics – POL 110 (Fall 2019)

DESCRIPTION

This class involves students in observation and critical analysis of political affairs. Topics and themes will include both American and global perspectives and both contemporary and historical cases. The class introduces a range of approaches to the study of politics, such as empirical research, quantitative analysis, theoretical questioning, and the examination of literary or artistic works. Central concepts will include politics, power, government, conflict, and justice.

There is also a Service Learning component to this course: once a month, we will be meeting for class at the Community Board 1 at 1 Center Street on the 2nd Thursdays of each month (4 meetings with local community activists, politicians and NYC agency officials). Students will gain familiarity with NYC politics and understand the day to day operations and activities of the community board 1. Students (See Service Learning / Civic Engagement tab. More on the project to be discussed in class).

“… why am I so interested in politics? If I were to answer you very simply I would say this: why shouldn’t I be interested? That is to say, what blindness, what deafness, what density of ideology would have to weigh me down to prevent me from being interested in what is probably the most crucial subject to our existence, that is to say the society in which we live, the economic relations in which it functions, and the system of power which defines the regular forms and regular permissions and prohibitions of our conduct? The essence of our life consists, after all of the political functioning of the society in which we find ourselves.” – Michel Foucault.

Image Source: 1) Adjunct Faculty gather outside BMCC in Spring 2019 as part of the PSC strategy for a Living Wage from CUNY photo by Geoff Kurtz; 2) Logo of the City of New York – NYC.gov” is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 20190501_163534Download

CLASS DEBATES

SL NEWS AND ACTIVITIES